[Cialug] [Slightly OT] High-speed DSL availability in DSM metro

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Thu Jan 20 10:55:01 CST 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 01:59 PM, Scott Prader wrote:

> Even the municipalities have competition from the big boys.  After
> living in Spencer for a few years, a trend was firmly established - if
> SMU customers had a speed issue, they'd send someone out to work on
> the lines - the same lines that Mediacom worked on.
I don't think that was exactly the case- the lines are separate, they're
just installed in the same physical areas. Otherwise I think they could
have saved a lot of money by "nationalizing" Mediacom's infrastructure,
though they still would have had to run FTTN, which they did.

The smear campaigns that Mediacom and others have run since some of the
Muni efforts have been the sort that only a monopoly in fear of losing
that monopoly can muster, and misinformation and shaky anecdotes abound
as a result.

--
Matthew Steven
http://www.geniusweb.com/