[Cialug] [Slightly OT] High-speed DSL availability in DSM metro

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Wed Jan 19 13:37:42 CST 2011

On 1/19/2011 1:19 PM, bofh at visi.com wrote:
> Seems like everyplace I go outside the Des Moines metro
> area has no problem with getting high-speed (7 Mb/s+)
> connections--metros and rural areas alike. Des Moines has
> become an even worse technology backwater than it was.

My father lives in Waterloo, IA and they have municipal broadband. I
heard they will be getting 105MB connections. Here's an article on
arstechnical about their broadband
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/fastest-us-internet-waterloo-ia.ars

It seems the best way to get more broadband would be for the cities to
establish municipal broadband service. I know there are many communities
in Iowa that have done this such as Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Indianola,
Spencer, etc.

Eric