[Cialug] Looking for recommendations for spam filtering service

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 3 11:36:20 CST 2011

I did consulting for an office that used postini in front of Exchange. They
were extremely happy with the filtering but I observed users often didn't
know how to look for messages that were mismarked as spam. They expected it
to be in their Outlook, instead they had to go to the postini website. The
only people who did that were power users (3 out of the 20).

I would seriously look at hosted exchange imho. MS makes it pretty easy to
set up but it is a very powerful and flexible tool and really warrants a
knowledgable sysadmin. It's hard for a 5 person office to have the resources
to do that. I've not used the latest editions but backup and restore are
examples of tasks that can be really challenging to figure out in the
versions I've used. Such that it's common for offices to have no usable
backup. Web access is another example of an important feature that can be
difficult to administer properly.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM, John Lengeling
<John.Lengeling at radisys.com>wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations on a 3rd party spam filtering service
> like Google Postini?  I want something to frontend an exchange server or
> maybe the better route would be to host use a hosted Exchange service
> since we are only talking about 5 users...
>
> Thanks,
>
> johnl

Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin