[Cialug] very odd email problem

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Fri Feb 25 09:11:25 CST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:46:08AM -0600, Hawkins wrote:
> CIALUG,
>
> I have a friend who always gets two copies of every email I send him.

What mail client is your friend using, and how is mail read or
retrieved?

Select one duplicate email without attachments (to keep things
simple) and check the Message-ID: header lines of both copies.  Do
they match?  Save each email to a file, including all header lines,
and make md5 (or other) hash checksums of each.  Are they identical?

If the answer is yes to both questions, have your friend set up another
mail account on their machine.  Then you can send mail to that new
account from your existing mail address to check for differences.

This might give you hints about the source of the duplicate mails.

Nicolai