[Cialug] Courier V.everythying modem

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Feb 22 18:00:29 CST 2011

If a dealer started sending several (or many) bills of sales to the state
that had skips in the numbering sequence, it could be a tip off.  I'm not
saying that is the case but I find it hard to believe that the only reason
they are still using printers that are hard to maintain (you can't go to the
local Best Buy to buy a new ribbon for the printer) is because their systems
are antiquated.  I do know there are some other state regulations that are
put in place to protect not only the consumers, but the financing companies
that finance the dealers (my wife works for a finance company for car
dealers).  Without them, dealers could get away with a lot more than they
already do.  From an outsider's perspective, it looks like there isn't a
valid reason for the processes.  But once you know that there are
regulations behind them, it makes you wonder what other regulations there
might be that are affecting other processes.

And besides, the state regulations won't eliminate fraud.  If someone is
really set on committing fraud, they will go to great lengths to do it, up
to and including screwing over their employees.  And the regulations are the
least of their concerns.  Just like gun laws.  If someone really wants a
gun, they aren't going to go to a place that makes them wait for 7 days
before they get one.  If they know they are going to commit a crime, is
having to buy one off the black market really going to be a deterrence?  And
no, I'm not advocating getting rid of gun laws.  Gun laws exist for a valid
reason, but if someone REALLY wants a gun, they will find a way, no matter
what.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:01 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> <
> murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yah, but most of the pin feed carbon forms are serially numbered and the
> serial numbers wouldn't match between the two copies if someone went back
> and reprinted the form with different data and that would be a distinct tip
> off.
>

> Given the two forms to compare, sure. But the fact that the don't contain
> the same data in general should be a pretty good tip off, regardless of any
> pre-printed numbers or type of paper. And given only one of the two copies
> the serial number doesn't provide any useful fraud detection.
>
>        Zach

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/