[Cialug] OT Wordpress

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 21:04:55 CST 2011

I believe WP also supports FTPS, but you need to set up SSL
certificates to use that.

And yes, you are correct, it is a Bad Idea to send usernames/passwords
in the clear over the Internet.

If you have shell access to the host, just use scp to upload the
files, then manage them through an ssh session. Yes, it isn't as
convenient as doing this through the browser, but it is much more
secure.

On 2/14/11, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen that in some of the other CMS setup scripts, but it's usually
> optional.
>
> -dc
>
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm setting up WordPress for a site I run, and I'm finding that it
>> wants to know my FTP password in order to make updating plugins and
>> themes easy.  But, uh... it sounds kind of stupid to me to put in the
>> password to my WordPress installation and just send it out over the
>> Internet.
>>
>> What could WordPress possibly have had in mind?  Is there any way to
>> sufficiently secure that?
>>
>> --
>> Todd

Tired programmer