[Cialug] TLS Cert validity?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Feb 3 13:08:46 CST 2011

TLS does not care if the cert has expired.  It will probably alert you to the fact though if it is an interactive process (browser)

Public-facing items are usually run with certs signed by certification authorities, but you can save some money (and cause confusion) through self-signing.

Almost any certification authority will walk you through the steps.  The product may have a guide, or you may need to use the cert request functions of your favorite Linux distro to create a certificate request.  I think I have some embedded hardware that has no provision for creating or installing a cert.

There are a lot of cheap certificates available, but not all the cheap ones are recognized by all browsers (ask me how I know).  Do your homework if it is a public-facing cert.

-Nate