[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

Pixel // pinterface pix at kepibu.org
Tue Dec 20 17:18:37 CST 2011

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 12/19/2011 5:55 PM, Pixel // pinterface wrote:
>>> [want a rackmount server]
>>>
>> Geeks.com has woot specials constantly, with 2U or 1U boxes that fit
>> your needs.
>>
>> Head to geeks.com and search 1U in their search box.  A lot of Dual
>> Xeons under $400 that would suit your needs.
>>
>> Woot codes typically get you $5 shipping + Ram upgrades.
>>
> Be careful of single core dual processor Xeon and Opterons. They
> usually do not have the virtualization instructions wich will limit
> the things you can do with them. The dual core and quad core models
> usually do have them. Therefore a dual core at 2.3GHz may end up
> being more useful in the long run than a Dual 3.2GHz.

A fair point.

> Yes, I learned this the hardway. If you want to use Xen on a server
> that does not have virtualization, you can use paravirtualization but
> this has two flaws: It limits the host OS since some have better
> support for this than others (Debian is better than Ubuntu), and it
> also limits the guest OS (Windows is out).
>
> Here is a vendor on e-bay who sells used servers that I've bought
> from a few times and had excellent results with:
> http://stores.ebay.com/PDNEIMAN

Woah, eBay is still around?! ;)

Mmmm... I've got my eye on this baby:
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200688096232

Within my budget, and enough space to tide me over until HD prices
come down.  Maybe a bit overpowered for my needs, but it'd be nice to
have to grow in to a machine before growing out of it.

Another excellent shopping resource.  Thanks!