[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

jrnosee jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 16:42:22 CST 2011

My .02 cents:
http://www.pacificgeek.com/ is always having sales on old server-room
tech.  Keep an eye on their "nooner" deals.

Also, depending on what you're doing you may not need to worry about
virtual-capable CPUs.  I have a VM server @ home too.  It runs off a P4-D
3.0GHz dual core x64 w/ no visualization capabilities.  It's a file server
and CrashPlan backup host as well as a VMWare Server host that runs a
webserver, android build-box, sometimes a minecraft server when I have time
to play with it, and a few other part-time VMs.

6GB of RAM ('cause it's what I had) and 3 HDD's (2x640GB, 1x 1.5TB) and
it's good to go.

I seriously need to post pix of this build.  I'm quite proud of it, or
would be if I was adept at setting up LCDProc to do what I want it to....
I need to find a way to make a functioning menu to detect mount state and
mount/unmount one of the drives in my SATA hot swap bay. (1.5TB backup
drive...would like to use menu to remove it and take it out of the house
when I leave so I have my back up "off site" or eventually so I can swap in
either 1 of 2 drives to keep one offsite and another in the box).

Damn I can't wait for HDD's to get cheap again.  My PC (not the server) is
running out of room again!