[Cialug] Wanted: Used Rackmount Server

Pixel // pinterface pix at kepibu.org
Mon Dec 19 17:55:02 CST 2011

tl;dr: I am in the market for a rackmounted server or two.  Got any?

Greetings, sysops and enthusiasts alike!

It's high time to upgrade the 90s-era tower I've been using as a local
test/development server, and I'd like to replace it with a rackmounted
unit.  Seeing as there are a number of people on this list who deal with
server farms, hopefully you guys can hook me up with something you're
looking to get rid of. ;)

My needs are not particularly high (my current hardware is, for the most
part, sufficient), but I'd like to stick a few extra things on the
server that the current box doesn't really have the resources for.
Hence, upgrade!  To maybe one or two generations behind the times,
rather than last century.

I'd like to put two, maybe three VMs on the new server.  Staying
Linux-only with Xen is fine; VMWare support would be nice for the option
of a Windows VM, but is not strictly necessary.  Basically, VMs would be
broken down into: a development VM (replacing the current box), a
"stable" VM (for assorted services, so the dev VM going down doesn't
break things for other people in the office), and a fileserver VM
(future; once HD prices come back down).  None of which would see
particularly heavy usage.

I'd like something along the lines of:
 * 64-bit processor
   multicore would be nice, but not strictly necessary
 * 4GB+ RAM
   I can always add more later, but it'd be nice not
   to have to buy some right away
 * 100GB+ drives
   ideally, 2+ for RAID

No preinstalled OS necessary; I'm just gonna wipe it as soon as I get it
anyway.  Under $500 would be ideal.

Thanks!