[Cialug] Best way to host webservers at home

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 19 10:05:18 CST 2011

Hello, I'd like to set up an environment at home where I can host multiple
VMs (or maybe even an open stack setup) in order to expose web services to
the public.

I have one server that runs constantly, it could act as a proxy or
forwarder. I have two more servers that will run virtual machines
(virtualbox or openstack probably).

The goal is to make staging and development easier. Therefore there are two
varieties of sites I will run:

 * "Production" type sites where a virtual machine runs a web server on
port 80
 * "Development" type sites where a Django or Rails site is running on port
8080 or 8000

My intention is to point a wild-card domain to my home router (*.
v5.iowatechies.com) and what I'd love is to be able to map *.
x.v5.iowatechies.com. So for example, EC2 uses something like this for x:
ec2-11-22-33-44 (wich is a pointer to 11.22.33.44 IP address). I'd be happy
with this but I'd love to be able to have multiple domains at each host,
hence the wildcard *.x.v5.iowatechies.com.

What would you recommend? And, for the record, imho, simpler is better than
better.

--
Matthew Nuzum