[Cialug] OT: Ruby on Rails

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Aug 17 08:30:59 CDT 2011

Roby and Python are generally more secure than PHP.  However, there are some caveats:

1) A highly skilled PHP dev/admin will generally create a more secure system than a poorly skilled Ruby or Pythin dev/admin.
2) The more modules that you have loaded, the greater your risk exposure.
3) The lazier you are about applying updates, the greater your risk exposure.

Practically-speaking, I advocate using Drupal with a minimal set of modules.  Run it on a LAMP stack with Mod_Security2, PHP-Suhosin and AppArmor.  Update it at least once a week.  If you do this, you'll be more secure than the common Ruby and Python apps out there.

Josh More | Senior Security Consultant - CISSP, GIAC-GSLC Gold, GIAC-GCIH
Alliance Technologies | www.AllianceTechnologies.net
400 Locust St., Suite 840 | Des Moines, IA 50309
515.245.7701 | 888.387.5670 x7701

Blog: Public attacks are on the rise.  Are you protecting yourself?
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/blogs/morej

How are we doing? Let us know here:
http://www.alliancetechnologies.net/forms/alliance-technologies-feedback-survey