[Cialug] OT: Ruby on Rails

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Aug 17 08:34:01 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Stuart Thiessen <thiessenstuart at aol.com>wrote:

> From recent emails, it seems that several encourage Ruby or Python over PHP
> for security reasons. Is Ruby that much more secure? How so?

The choice many times isn't Ruby vs. Python, rather Rails vs. [a Python
Framework] or CakePHP. Modern web applications require sophisticated
structure on the server to enable managing an application, and the
Framework provides the structure and tools to make that happen:

For example, managing the database integration of a sophisticated web site
is pretty simple with Rails, with "MVC" - the Framework separates the data
Model from the html code that creates the User view, and the Controller
decides what happens when.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller

I am not familiar with similar Python frameworks, but I do know enough
about Rails to know that it is very productive and powerful; the cost
comes in wrapping your head around MVC [as it would with any framework].

The language choice itself is only part of the development environment.

	Lee