[Cialug] Firefox (partial) Kiosk Mode

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 11:39:51 CDT 2011

I'd like suggestions, if anyone has them.  I have a piece of system
software that publishes a website to allow for web-based control of
it.  It's available only internally, not over the Internets.  This
site requires Firefox to work perfectly, but is imperfect in IE.
Which is unusual, because most sites that are faulty in this way
require IE to the exclusion of other browsers.

I'm exploring options for making the site available, and one thought
that occurs to me is to use a desktop app/launcher/shortcut thing that
will use Firefox to load the site, but I don't want to use the entire
Firefox application.  I'd like to remove the address bar and most
other controls.  Because other sites require IE, I need to let IE
remain the primary browser and not encourage the use of Firefox among
those who don't already use it.

How can I do this?  I've looked for "firefox kiosk", but that usually
involves completely walling off the computer outside of the browser,
like at a kiosk in an airport or library or something.  I want the
computer to remain, I just want to simplify Firefox itself.

--
Todd