[Cialug] Virtual Box and NAS

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 15:20:34 CDT 2011

You would expect that, but some real-world testing of the cheap NAS boxes
shows differently. They use really low-end Marvell imbedded chipsets.

You can buy a Dell T110 for about the same price as a soho NAS, sometimes
cheaper. It has a "real" processor, a good Intel gigabit NIC, and can hold 4
SATA drives, and has an ESATA port. Put your favorite NAS type OS on it or
even just a generic Linux distro, and it's going to beat the pants off a
Netgear or Dlink NAS, and probably be more stable.

Google for NAS benchmarks, there are several out there.

-dc