[Cialug] Virtual Box and NAS

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Aug 12 13:02:11 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Is VirtualBox a Linux based virtual machine that can run multiple operating
> systems?  If so is it free and what kind of hardware would I have to run it
> on?

Yes, it is free to downoad and there is a free open source version that has
a few less features. There is no charge to use either version.

It runs on any hardware, even older machines that don't support
virtualization, however for best results I'd suggest a computer that
supports Virtualization (such as a core duo) and has at least 1GB of ram.
With 1G of RAM you can run a 256MB virtual machine which is good for
experimentation. If you don't have hardware virtualization you will need a
little extra patience.

On my 4G Core 2 Duo machine I often run 2-3 servers and a desktop VM at once
(servers usually have ~300M of RAM each, desktop 500 - 700M).

> I'm trying to become familiar with Linux applications and software.
>
> Sorry this is a bit off the subject of what you asked!

Matthew Nuzum