[Cialug] Lightweight webserver for local php dev

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 1 22:38:52 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've seen various methods of running things like XAMPP, but IMHO it's crazy
> simple to set up something like what Barry described, or maybe even just
> give each dev a stripped down VM with the LAMP stack configured.
>
> Here's a howto on running XAMPP on Ubuntu.

Right, running a full lamp stamp is not a problem. We all use Ubuntu for
development and we sometimes use VMs.

What would be sweet is to:

{bzr|git|svn} branch some-project
cd some-project
fab runserver # or whatever
open http://localhost:8000/ to test.

xamp, wamp, easyphp, etc have their uses but I don't think they're really
any better than what we're doing now, installing php and apache system wide
and configuring a virtual host for each site.

--
Matthew Nuzum