[Cialug] Volunteerism and stepping up a career

Scott Prader sprader at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 28 19:33:16 CDT 2011

Getting anything converted from an old style to a digital style is
always full of challenges.  People might think "well anyone can pop a
VHS tape into a converter and make a DVD", but it's not always that
simple, there are plenty of things that can go wrong when using an
off-the-shelf system like that.  You need to have access to the tools
and software that allow you to make the proper modifications in the
meantime in order to produced a polished product.  After all, who
wants to press 'play' on a digital recording and watch the blurry snow
that might be at the beginning and/or end of some tapes?

But maybe it's not cemeteries that we should be focusing on, since
much of that seems to have been done already:
http://iowagravestones.org but they do accept photos, so perhaps there
are still some gaps to be filled and other pathways to be found.

-Scott