[Cialug] crontab not doing its thing

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Thu Apr 28 08:17:07 CDT 2011

If your distribution has a decent sample ntp configuration file in
place, then just edit /etc/ntp.conf (there might be an extra directory
in that path... "find /etc -name '*ntp*'" should find anything ntp-
related though). Put this line in it:

    server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org

Then tell ntp to start. That will be distribution-dependent, but usually
you can do "/etc/init.d/ntp start" (or "ntpd" (note the "d") instead of
"ntp"). To make it start on every boot will also be distro dependent; if
you tell us which one you use someone can give exact directions.