[Cialug] ROS (Robot Operating System)

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 10:17:38 CDT 2011

Dan,

Now I see what you're trying to do.  You want combine the Chumby and the
S2.  That wasn't clear at first.  No doubt you're probably wanting to use
the Chumby more as the brains since it's more of a 'real' computer running a
'real' OS.

In that case, you probably want a really simple program running on the S2
that iteratively makes sensed data available (either at a WiFi socket or at
the serial port) and accepts commands (either at a WiFi socket or at the
serial port) to make the motors go.

You probably don't need a terminal to do this, since the S2 has that GUI
programming interface.  What I *am* noticing here on the Web, though, is
that this GUI programming interface only allows you to take advantage (in a
GUI fashion) of functionality that is not useful.

I hate it when companies do that.  Why do they make making lights blink the
top priority?

Anyway, though it seems easier to use the serial ports for these things to
talk, for WiFi there is the PropTCP library available for the Propeller:
http://harrisonpham.com/dp/proptcp
With the ReadMe file here:
http://propeller.wikispaces.com/PropTCP_SocketsLayer

In that case, you would have a looping program that reads and writes S2 data
over a TCP/IP socket for interaction with the Chumby.

Like I mentioned, even if there is an easy serial communications option,
I haven't seen any way to take advantage of it (or the WiFi) using the GUI
programming environment provided for the S2.  It may just have to be code
you upload. I don't know much about the Propeller, but I'll continue to
research this stuff while pursuing my own crazy projects.

-Todd