[Cialug] ROS (Robot Operating System)

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 13:35:23 CDT 2011

Dan,

You have a Chumbot?  I saw one of those on the cover of Linux Journal last
fall.  It looked cool as hell.   I don't know the S2 or boebot too well, but
something running Linux (like the Chumbot) would be a huge upgrade.

Is the serial connection to the robot working?  Is the WiFi connection
working?  Ultimately, one of those would have to be working to get any
milage out of it.

Does yours have a range sensor?  Either way, a good experiment would be
putting the OctoMap software (http://robots.net/article/3153.html) through
some tests, even if sensing is just through stall conditions.  Knowing
OctoMap would be useful for robotics purposes no matter what you do moving
forward.

Are you much of a programmer?

-Todd