[Cialug] OT: Socket programming + jquery conundrum

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Tue Apr 12 20:10:36 CDT 2011

On 4/12/2011 5:44 PM, Matthew Steven wrote:
> So that means to me that yes, jquery is part of the problem, but if the
> content being served is identical, I must be doing something with the
> sockets on the server that js/jquery is sensitive to and mozilla itself
> is not. Perhaps I'm not closing a connection the right way?

> Any thoughts?

What port is your HTTP server that you wrote listening on? AJAX requests
are subject to the Same origin policy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy I believe if your HTML
is served by Apache on port 80 but your HTTP server that you make an
AJAX request to is on a different port it would be considered to be a
different origin and the browser would block it. You can get around Same
origin policy by using JSONP.

Eric