[Cialug] Hello and can I get some recommendations

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Tue Apr 12 14:20:50 CDT 2011

On 4/10/2011 2:07 PM, Aaron Cooper wrote:

> I hope it's ok to introduce myself though the mailing list. I'm figuring
> i'll come to the next meeting but wanted to say hi first.

Greetings - and welcome!

> Here's a little bit of information about me. I don't have formal
> training in computers, a little excel and access is the hightlight of my
> college computer classes. I know how to use a computer for gaming and
> basic things. I am very new to linux I've installed it once or twice
> over the years but never used it much after. I'm interested in learning
> more about computer security, networking, linux, programming, ect.
> I have a two year degree in accounting, probably should have gone into
> something more computer related but by the time I figured that out I was
> almost done with my accounting degree so I finished it. I'm 26, male,
> and not currently employed. I like Video/computer games and am love sci
> fi, especially star wars and star trek.

The unemployed part is the pits, but the rest sounds good. The best part
is that, at 26, your have time to explore an immense amount of new
territory. :)

Computer-wise, I done a bit of C programming - and since 2001 have been
doing independent solar R&D. If interested, you can see a thumbnail
sketch at http://www.iedu.com/mrd/mrd_res1.html

> As for the recommendations I would love some ideas on a good first
> programming language to learn. I was thinking about python but i'm open
> to other ideas. Also I am interested in good introductory Linux books
> especially ubuntu.

I have a strong bias toward C. It's syntactically simple - yet powerful
and flexible enough for any programming task - and it's normally the
first compiler implemented for every new processor.

Morris Dovey
(writing from Yorktown, VA)