[Cialug] Administrivia

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sat Apr 9 10:26:35 CDT 2011

Well, it may not be an issue since your e-mail made it through to the list.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Matt <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:

> Sorry, didn't mean to send to the list, and the iPod likes to hide who you
> are replying to.  Just to clarify, my mail server issue isn't Dave's fault,
> as I never told him where to point the PTR record.
>
> Matt, the IT Wannabe
> http://www.itwannabe.com/
>
> On Apr 9, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Matt <matt at itwannabe.com> wrote:
>
> > My server, hosted by Dave at Internet solver, doesn't resolve properly.
>  The only place this ever caused me problems was on craigslist, so I never
> bothered complaining about it.  I'll get in touch with Dave, but I doubt it
> will be solved before Monday.
> >
> > Matt, the IT Wannabe
> > http://www.itwannabe.com/
> >
> > On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:14 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> This is a long message but you can skip over it if the following items
> >> don't apply to you:
> >>
> >> 1. Forward-confirmed reverse DNS for your mailserver, which will soon be
> >> required for sending mail to cialug.org.  (Let me know if this applies
> >> to you!)
> >>
> >> 2. A description of small changes I've made to the cialug.org mail
> config.
> >>
> >> 3. Posts from non-subscriber addresses.  (Let me know if you do!)
> >>
> >> First, I want to remind folks that they will soon need to have proper
> >> DNS records for machines sending mail to cialug.org.
> >>
> >> Who this mainly applies to: people who run their own mail servers.  It
> >> should not affect many people.
> >>
> >> This requirement will apply only to DNS records, not to your mail server
> >> config.  And if you don't run your own mail server, it's exceedingly
> >> unlikely this applies to you at all.
> >>
> >> What this entails:
> >>
> >> This means having matching PTR and A records, also known as
> >> Forward-confirmed reverse DNS.  See:
> >>

> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Forward-confirmed_reverse_DNS
> >>
> >> For example, your trusty cialug.org server sits on 67.224.64.36, which
> >> resolves to mail.cialug.org, which in turn resolves to 67.224.64.36.  A
> >> perfect match.  The great majority of spamcannons lack matching DNS
> >> records, and virtually all legitimate mailservers have them.  And any
> >> legit server should be able to get them, if they don't already.
> >>
> >> How to verify if your mail server has matching DNS records:
> >>
> >> 1. Find its (public, if necessary) IP address.
> >> 2. Resolve it via the command dig -x <ip>, ie,
> >>
> >>  dig -x 67.224.64.36
> >>
> >> 3. Resolve the hostname you got from step #2, if applicable, via
> >> dig <hostname>, ie,
> >>
> >>  dig mail.cialug.org
> >>
> >> If the records match, you're good to go.
> >>
> >> However if you get NXDOMAIN for either query, or if the records don't
> >> match, you'll need to talk to your ISP.  Explain that you need
> >> Forward-confirmed reverse DNS to talk to cialug.org, as described in
> RFC
> >> 1912, specifically section 2.1:

> [...]

Matthew Nuzum

"My aim has always been to get to the truth rather than to support some
position. And in criticizing others, I have always tried to understand what
their
position was and not to misrepresent it. I have never been interested in
cheap
victories." -Ronald Coase