[Cialug] Tasks for learning shell scripting

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Wed Sep 29 11:00:33 CDT 2010

On 09/29/2010 10:46 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On 2010-09-29 at 10:34:34, Josh More wrote:
>> More seriously, Perl's biggest drawback is CPAN.
>
> Is "drawback" really the word you were looking for?
>
> I think Perl's biggest strength is CPAN, actually. That's what keeps me
> programming in Perl and not some other language. For almost anything
> that i don't feel like coding myself, there's a module to do it for me.
> And for the few modules i want to use that aren't available as a Debian
> package, CPAN makes it trivial to install them and keep them updated.

... and thereby risk the loss of integrity of your Debian package management
system (unless you backtrack and appropriately mark the Debian packages as
"hold", and remember to uninstall the CPAN module when you release the package
hold, and ...yadda yadda - but not in the Seinfeld sense).

So I wouldn't use the term "drawback" either. For me, CPAN is a *liability*
because it puts Perl functionality above Debian package management.

But admittedly, that's likely just me.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\