[Cialug] Tasks for learning shell scripting

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Wed Sep 29 08:06:40 CDT 2010

On 09/28/2010 09:45 PM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> What are some beginning to early intermediate tasks that are good for
> becoming proficient with shell scripting? If you were making a
> curriculum to teach scripting and you didn't want to be boring, what
> would you do?

I taught BASH scripting last term, and used projecteuler.net as the framework to
solve problems in bash.

I'd highly recommend projecteuler.net as a way to introduce using *any* language
(in this case, bash) to solve problems.

Bash isn't the best language to use for solving all problems in Project Euler,
but that's not the point...Trying to solve the problems in the context of the
tool that you're using is a great way to learn what the language can do as well
as the limitations of the language.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\