[Cialug] "Dymamic" Xorg c**p

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Sep 27 17:49:14 CDT 2010

On Sep 27, 2010, at 5:20 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> A screen size should not change unless the operator directs it.

Says someone who knows how to throw their system back to VESA mode, edit the config as a text file, doesn't mind doing that, and wants to preserve their existing config even when the connected hardware changes. Obviously you think it's a good idea for this case, but I have a hard time believing that's the common case.

In general, why would someone want their system to continue driving a configuration it *knows* to be incompatible with the connected equipment? Why wouldn't they want the monitor/video card and window server to negotiate some supported configuration and then allow manual adjustment from that at-least-working-if-not-ideal config? Obviously you wouldn't want to do this at every boot, but on a display-related hardware change it seems pretty reasonable, and way less hassle than the alternative of booting into a screen that says "Unsupported Resolution".

> Have experienced the problem with OpenSuSE 11.2, 11.3, and Ubuntu 10.04 -
> the occurrance being if the monitor is not active on bootup, the screen
> defaults to 800x600 requiring restart of the X server, which also makes
> automatic login worthless.

As was suggested before, with Xrandr you can change resolution on-the-fly, no killing of the X server required.

You should also be able to write whatever config you want to xorg.conf and make the file immutable so whatever is removing or changing it can't.

	Zach