[Cialug] Next AmesLUG topic

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 14:50:59 CDT 2010

When talking about VirtualBox, be sure and mention vboxtool, which wraps the
CLI for VBox and makes it much easier to start VMs from the command line
and/or with init.d scripts.

    http://vboxtool.sourceforge.net/

Mostly developed for Ubuntu, but also works well in other hosts.

When installing in CentOS (either host or guest), you will need to install
developer tools (cpp and kernel module requirements) in order to use Guest
Additions.

Installing in OpenSUSE is a bit cleaner; it allows selecting cpp and kernel
module stuff during initial system install (CentOS has been crashing for me
if I select any additional packages -- any clues?)

One egregious error in vboxtools: you are supposed to be able to change the
RDT port in the vboxtools config file, but there is a syntax error in the
script. I plan to correct the error (in my ample spare time ;-) ), but have
just not been playing with that feature so far. A couple of other errors,
too, but not too bad, once you learn what is really required.

One more item: if you start a VM with vboxtool, you will only be able to
start up a GUI with RDT; the VBox GUI mostly shows VM status in this mode.
You can, however, save the state of a VM from the command line and restore
it from the GUI, and vice versa.

I'll pass on more notes, if anyone is interested in running VBox headless
(or CLI controlled).

--Don Ellis

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu