[Cialug] AmesLUG: 2010-09-09 Minutes

Matthew Steven matthew at geniusweb.com
Fri Sep 10 08:48:22 CDT 2010

Many members admitted to having read the minutes (as you now are doing)
on the site for meetings that they missed, so I'll take that as
agreement that most members consider it a useful job and appreciate it
being done well.

Remember, a successful club relies on *every member participating* not
just one or two people who can easily burn out from all the effort to
keep things moving. If you like AmesLUG, you can help make it last by
lending a hand as secretary as well as in many other fun ways. Email
Matt or Michael to talk about it.

---

Minutes from Sep 9, 2010:

About half of the 13 attendees arrived at around 7:30, and we had a good
chin wag while the seats filled in.

Matt & Joanna brought some popcorn and water.

There was much sympathy for the wailing and gnashing of teeth that
people were suffering trying to get their wireless cards working on some
Linux distributions. Hopefully we gave these poor souls some useful
guidance on their quest.

Members suggested some techniques for getting difficult cards working
from using ndiswrapper to identifying the chipset on some specific cards
and suggesting an updated kernel for a native driver.

Another discussion took place about appropriate media for older
computers. Double-density floppies were mentioned, which took most of us
back a few years.

Apparently Jonathan has a MicroVAX in his house. Now we're all hoping he
offers us a tour in the future.

Some discussion was had regarding an IO availability problem that Matt
was having with his MythTV box. Jonathan had some cogent thoughts on
that as usual.

Members did a nice job of quickly cleaning the room up and arranging it
when the library booted us out at 8:45.

--
Matthew Steven
http://www.geniusweb.com/