[Cialug] Fwd: Announcing Micro Instances for Amazon EC2

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Sep 9 10:22:23 CDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Tom Pohl <tom at tcpconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>> EC2 is not like a normal vps though. There is, by default at least, no
>> persistent storage. So if you boot it up, install nagios and then shut
>> it down, when you boot it up again you'll have to install nagios
>> again. You have to deliberately create persistent storage.
>
> By default this is true, but earlier this year they made it possible to store your VM in elastic block storage now! I believe they call it an EBS-backed instance

Ah, that is cool. EBS is the technology that lets you take snapshots
and it also appears to be the tool you use to create storage for
MySQL. It is $0.10 per GB /month and there is a cost for i/o.

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=1663

This gives you a comparable environment to a VPS but I'm not convinced
it's the most cost effective or best way to utilize EC2. I cringe at
unknown or unpredictable costs and the i/o one scares me just a
little.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way." –Robert Nuzum (My dad)
summarizing an old military quote