[Cialug] CentOS & GPT

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Tue Sep 7 16:55:03 CDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> At 03:34 PM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
>
>>I think it's supported in some fashion, I know I have a couple TB
>>array on a Centos machine. I had to use parted and not fdisk to
>>partition it though. Perhaps it's just on the root that needs to be
>>old style partitions.
>
> The only notes I have found are work-arounds with separate HDs, ..
> not possible in this scenario. The disk system does not support
> changing the partition type, nor would I want to fiddle with it.

I saw this note that suggested making two logical drives on the array,
one just big enough for the OS (they did 1GB but I'd do 4GB).  The
last entry in the topic suggests zeroing the small drive's partition
table so the installer will create a new one (MBR).

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14271

  -- Ken