[Cialug] resume assistance

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 10:11:38 CDT 2010

 On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM, <j.bengtson at mchsi.com> wrote:

> If you can, go around the HR people.  Find out who the tech managers are,
> and send your resume directly to them.  You can ask them to "please forward
> my resume to your HR department", but you really want them to at least skim
> your resume first.  That's where a good cover letter can be a big help.

Just letting you know, that doesn't work everywhere. Larger business (one in
particular that I worked at) had only a single path for a resume to get to
the hiring manager, and that was through HR. I knew the person who processed
incoming resumes, and those that tried to circumvent the system would get
shredded, or deleted, and never make it to the HR recruiter.  My input here
is only attempt to circumvent HR when you know it won't HURT your chances of
getting hired. Do your research, if you can find out who the hiring manager
is, also check and make sure that sending your resume to the hiring manager
instead of HR does not disqualify you from the job.   Sometimes going both
routes (HR and the Hiring manager) might be the wise choice.  It all depends
on where you are applying, and what their process is.