[Cialug] Blu Ray & MakeMKV

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Oct 29 13:00:05 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 10:40 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> Thinking of updating my HTPC with blu ray , .. it sounds like MakeMKV is
> a possible solution for playing - has anyone tried it? Don't see much info
> online, .. nor is there anything recent about burning or drives. Any
> pointers to resources would be appreciated.

Works fine with everything I tried. You can rip the entire disk (including menus/etc.) to a decrypted but otherwise unchanged copy, or titles-only streams to MKV wrappers, or you can stream titles via HTTP if you only need playback don't intend to keep a copy.

The only trouble I've ever had with it is the occasional inability to correctly parse a title structure (so you end up with disjointed streams that have to be re-assembled manually), but that's generally been correctly promptly and in the past ~6 months I haven't come across anything it can't read.

One thing to note is there's basically no software that supports the full Blu-ray disk structure/menus. Lots of things can play the raw MTS files (or the re-rapped MKV files) to get the audio/video/subtitles off the disk, but I haven't come across anything that can deal with the menus/disk structure in any useful way.

	Zach