[Cialug] deep STOP

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 15:59:21 CDT 2010

So, I run into this issue frequently, as I have my computer tethered to my
phone - in a location I really only get about dialup speeds.

There are times when I visit a site, and want to read the content, but could
care less about pictures or other crap loading - so I hit ESC or the stop
button on the browser. And most of the time this suffices.

However, I've noticed that if there are any other requests made from the
page with AJAX, then the stop doesn't work. This is particularly noticeable
in Google Reader when opening an item that has like 40 images, and then
moving to another feed to read other items, the 40 images are still trying
to load. I can't use the stop button or esc to stop these from loading
because GReader dynamically renders this content, and the main "page" has
already loaded. As far as I can tell the only way to fix this is to close
that tab and reload, which is a huge PITA.

Can anyone think of a good solution to this?

Thanks,
-Kenny

--
Kenneth Younger III