[Cialug] Multicast, anyone?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Oct 25 16:30:42 CDT 2010

At 12:59 PM 10/25/2010, you wrote:
> > Looking at:
> >
> > http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-48si.aspx
>
>I've never used Extreme's products before, but is your network a
>single switch or are there multiple switches and networks involved?

That's for the 'head end' to switch between streams on the remote
port; there can be a bunch of switches and routers involved, which is
my concern - I'm not sure that 'normal' ISPs will handle multicast traffic.

>If you pick a multicast group address from the range 239.0.0.0 -
>239.255.255.255 you should be fine.  These addresses are reserved
>for local multicast use.

The multicast isn't local, however, .. the remote clients have their
own internet service.

         Lee