[Cialug] Multicast, anyone?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Mon Oct 25 08:38:08 CDT 2010

I've messed about with Multicast video on my network.  You can quickly slow everything with the addition of a lot of multicast traffic and some old devices (in our case, printers).  We have some old HP Laserjet 4 printers that were horribly burdened by receiving all the multicast packets (not sure why they were) and printouts would take 5 minutes and longer per page.

In the end everything seemed to work but it was really scary seeing all the ports lit solid.  Something I thought would not happen once I enabled IGMP snooping.

So I guess my guidance is: don't start working with multicast during peak hours on your production network until you have some confidence with how to configure your switches.

-Nate