[Cialug] multi-national web app decisions

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Oct 22 14:45:45 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> If you were building a web app from scratch and you wanted it to be fast
> world-wide, what architectural decisions would you make? Using Linux, of
> course. In my case I have access to inexpensive DC space in the US and
> Europe. When a user makes a preference change in EU it should be changed
> everywhere, but it does not need to be instantaneous. As a matter of fact,
> what I have in mind should favor perceived front-end performance. I mean I'd
> prefer not to use a tool that adds 20ms of latency while data is replicated
> to another location.

Let me be more specific, would you use MySQL multi-master replication,
standard replication or would you use some other database technology?

Also, what would you do to direct people to a location near them, would you
use a DNS service , would you run your own DNS servers and configure them to
do geo based serving, or would you use something else?

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin