[Cialug] Android tablets

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Oct 20 10:42:00 CDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com>wrote:

> Of the people that have them, where did you get them from and have you been
> happy with yours? I see a lot on ebay but most sellers don't look very
> trustworthy.

A lot of these tablets are not compliant with the Android specification.
They run the open source android os but can't use the Android Market and
therefore don't have the official Google apps nor the ability to easily get
them. In many cases the hardware is not very good.

One example is a device that says it's 600MHz (which is an OK speed for
basic use) but it actually has one 300MHz chip for basic processing and one
300MHz chip for other functions. I've heard that they are dog slow.

Kohls has a cheap Android based tablet for sale. I think it's $150 and it's
at the jewlery counter. It's billed as an e-reader and includes software for
nook and I believe you can add Kindle to it.

(just found the link)
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/electronicsgames/gadgets/PRD~685112/Pandigital+Novel+7in+eReader.jsp
(if
you have a kohls card you can get a 10-20% discount w/ coupons in the
e-mail)

In the coming weeks there will be a few new devices available that are going
to be a much higher quality experience. The Archos 7o and Archos 101 will be
out soon and will run Froyo. It has good hardware including a multi-touch
screen.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin