[Cialug] Security Goings On

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Oct 12 19:05:00 CDT 2010

Since some folks on this list like technical security even when it's not specifically Linux-related, I wanted to point folks towards three events happening soon.  Yes, I am speaking at them all, so there's some self-promotion involved... but I wouldn't be sharing them here if I didn't think that they'd be worth some of your time.

1) University of Iowa IT Security Day - Wednesday, October 20th - Free
Overview:  Presentations on hacking, web security, forensics, law enforcement and threat overview
Details:  http://itsecurity.uiowa.edu/securityday/secday10.shtml

2) Infragard Annual Meeting - Wednesday, October 27th - $30 for Infragard members, $45 for non-Infragard members  (includes lunch)
Overview:  Blending of security and business, training in how to win arguments and get budget.
Details:  http://www.iowainfragard.org/content/annual-meeting-2010-making-your-ideas-happen-and-winning-security-fight

If you are interested in professional development and making the leap to a higher pay grade, this is meeting to attend.  I have been deeply involved in setting it up, and it's going to be AWESOME.

3) Barrier1 / Certified Ethical Hacker Class - Friday, November 5th - $250 for ISSA and Infragard members, $295 for everyone else (includes lunch)
Overview:  Hacking class touching on web, databases, file systems, scanning and maintaining access.  The Infragard meeting (8:30-9:30) and ISSA meeting (3-4) are nontechnical and free
Details: http://www.iowainfragard.org/docs/Zero-Entry-Hacking-Des-Moines-11-5.pdf

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net
515-245-7701