[Cialug] PTR records & SPF?

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Oct 12 14:46:41 CDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Dave Weis wrote:

> No, a given IP can only have one name returned for reverse DNS.

Actually, multiple PTR records *are* legal, .. but very uncommon and often
break resolvers.

> Just make sure the HELO matches the reverse and you should be fine.

Always done that, .. but I'm trying to respond to a hosting company that
claims the reverse DNS name does not have to match the HELO.

> We have hundreds of domains where the MX doesn't match the hostname but
> there is a matching set of forward and reverse.

So the MX doesn't match the helo, rather it's a common outbound server
with valid forward/reverse entries?

	Thahks!

	Lee