[Cialug] Dovecot, Thunderbird and shared folders

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sun Oct 10 15:16:41 CDT 2010

I've set up Dovecot 1.2 with shared folders, but I'm getting an annoying
extra INBOX folder showing up under one shared folder in Thunderbird.
It's only one folder and moves to the most recent folder shared and
subscribed to. The default INBOX in the private namespace remains, but
you can't subscribe to it and you can unsubscribe from the one appearing
in the shared namespace. It's visible in Thunderbird, but not in the web
interface I've set up.

It doesn't cause any mail errors, but it's annoying and the visible
INBOX folder is not accessible so if you click on it you get an error.
Plus the .INBOX actually gets created in the file system.

Can't figure out what the deal is and how to get rid of it. I'm guessing
at this point it's a Thunderbird issue, but I'm not certain. Anyone have
an idea. Relevant dovecot.conf below.

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
   subscriptions = yes
}

namespace shared {
   separator = /
   prefix = shared/%%u/
   location = maildir:/var/vmail/%%d/%%n:INDEX=/var/vmail/%d/%n/shared/%%u
   subscriptions = no
   list = children
   inbox = no
}