[Cialug] bind 9 - split zones

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:33:15 CST 2010

I'm attempting to set up a name server with split zones, so the internal
network can do recursive lookups, but people on the outside can't.

My 2 main references have been:

http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.ch04.html#AEN767

http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/split_view_with_bind_9_howto.php

This config runs, but doesn't look like it's blocking the "external" people
- I get the same results back from "dig -t NS @my.name.server.com" from the
inside and the outside. If I make it block 127.0.0.1 (while running it on my
laptop) I get back basically no results, which is what you should get
externally if it's working.

Here's a scaled down sample of what I'm trying. One thing I was wondering
about is if the problem is due to having the firewall at 192.168.1.1, which
is included in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet?

I've also tried both iterations of the "match-clients { !localnets; any; };"
with and without the !localnets parameter.

Any ideas?

-dc

----------
// named.conf

acl internals { 192.168.1.0/24; };

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";

    recursion no;
};

controls {
    inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";

// -----------------------------------------------
view "internal" {