[Cialug] Linux Server Spontaneous Reboot?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 18 08:05:57 CST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Crouse <crouse at usalug.net> wrote:

> Twice I've had this happen, both times it was related to faulty ram.

The only times I've had this happen were because of either hardware problem
or running a pre-release distribution.

Linux stability is quite good. And actually, for that matter, the more
recent versions of Windows are similar. I think that the threat of malware
differentiates it from Linux but if you've got a malware free system and
you're experiencing faults or panics I'd seriously look into a hardware
prob.

Probably the most interesting hardware prob I had was a CPU fan had sucked
in enough dust to give the heatsink a nice, fuzzy, insulating blanket.
Therefore certain high-cpu tasks would cause the computer to halt. I
vacuumed out the computer and the thing ran for years w/out prob.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin