[Cialug] Linux Server Spontaneous Reboot?

Matt Millard millard.matt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 07:11:00 CST 2010

I've had issues with HP hardware doing this.  Cost me several months of
digging to finally get it figured out on one of our Oracle RAC nodes.  We
ended up having to flash some new firmware to a component on the
motherboard.  The symptoms we saw were that it was like someone yanked the
power instantly from the box and it would start coming back up.  No errors,
no dumps, just a power removed/power back on message in the iLO logs on the
console.

Hardware was a DL380 G6.  Ended up having to flash the whole batch that came
in at that time as they all fit the correct manufacturing time/serial
numbers.

Matt

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Question(s).
>
> Have any of you seen a Linux server spontaneously reboot itself, and
> what was the cause?  Was the reboot part of a design decision or was
> it a flaw?  Did the cause make sense to you, or do you think it should
> have handled the situation differently?  Was it due to hardware or OS,
> or was it third party software that caused it?
>
> --
> Todd

Matt Millard

http://mattmillardphotography.com