[Cialug] PHP -> SASL?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 4 11:05:34 CDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> We have a need to send emails that are then forwarded by gmail to a
> remote recipient. Gmail seems to be refusing to forward the messages
> [the filter does not work] so I assume it's because the sender cannot
> be verified?
>
> There is no valid mail server onsite [that's why they use gmail], so
> it seems like the best approach would be to send the email to gmail
> using SASL, but most of the php libraries seem to require a local MTA?
>
> Is there a simple way with php to send email with SASL?

Hi, I tried this a while back, it was challenging but it did work. Iirc the
e-mails had a from header mentioning the email address of the account you
use to send the e-mail.

Basically, you install postfix and configure it to send mail via gmail. Then
you get the benefits of a local mta.
http://braiden.org/?p=15

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin