[Cialug] decreasing website latency

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Nov 4 08:15:27 CDT 2010

I have a simple "hello world" php web page. When I do a wget
https://.../index.php
(it is an ssl website) it takes .477 seconds. Ping time is .060 seconds.

Any suggestions on what I can do to decrease latency? The apache server has
(and needs) PHP. The phpinfo() page shows a lot of modules I don't need but
I don't see them listed in php.ini. Currently using xcache, mod_php and
mod_rewrite. Also, the SSL certificate is chained, does that affect
performance? I'm very motivated to cut that latency in half or better. The
site will be hosting dynamic content but I'm targeting an app that really
needs to feel snappy and I think that will be challenging with half a second
of latency.

/me does a quick test on a non-ssl website...

Ah, latency is down to .147 seconds on the http version of the site on the
same server. So I guess my focus need to be on optimizing ssl. That also
makes me wonder if wget is a good tool for testing ssl website latency.

I appreciate your suggestions, thanks.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin