[Cialug] Ubuntu's changing look

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Nov 2 11:09:17 CDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> At 10:27 AM 11/2/2010, you wrote:
>
> >Today Novell canceled the availability of multi-year
> >support.  Practically, this means that if you purchase SLES (or any
> >of the multitude of Novell's half-built other products), you have
> >renew support on a yearly basis.  This likely indicates that the
> >company is having cash flow problems.
> >
> >Interesting business changes may appear in the coming year.
>
> A few weeks ago there was a blurb indicating that Novell is in merger
> talks with VMWare, .. so this sounds like fallout from that process.
>
> If anyone has other insight, .. ??

I've heard mixed signals, though more like smoke signals than sign posts.

1: GNOME community feels Novell is neglecting the open source projects it's
sponsored by not replacing ximian people who have left.

2: Utah OSS conference a few weeks ago had, not too surprisingly, a strong
showing from Novell and lots of up-beat talk.

The word I'm hearing is that Novell is focusing their message on solutions
rather than Linux. I subscribe to some newsletters from them and personally
I think their perspective is smart. As an IT person I care more about
solving problems than I do about the tools I use to solve them.

However, these last two points don't really contradict what Josh said, it's
easy to put on a good face and fatal to show you're wounded.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin