[Cialug] Old(ish) Desktops Wanted

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon May 17 15:14:59 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Chris K. <pustule at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to get my hands on 4x desktop machines for a new cluster
> project/educational experience I am pursuing.
>
> They needn't be anything too recent but I don't want anything too old
> either and the smaller the better.  Like models would make my life easier
> but isn't required.
>
> If you have any you are trying to get rid of cheap/free, please let me
> know.

I wish I had what you needed, but all I can offer is advice. If you can get
your hands on machines with an Intel Core Duo or, preferably, Core 2 Duo
you'll have more uses for them. The reason why is because the Core Duo is a
commonly available low cost part providing virtualization instructions. The
Core 2 Duo goes a step above by also supporting 64bit instructions.

The Dell Latitude D620 laptop computer was available with a Core Duo and the
D630 was available with the Core 2 Duo. Both of these computers were
extremely common and are available in vast quantities off-lease as refurbs.
I've bought the D620's for about $100 when I take the time to look around
for the good deals. $200 - $250 is more common. (the D610's are commonly
available for $100 but don't have the core duo processor)

The benefit of using laptops is that you get small foot print but also low
power consumption. Assuming your OS supports it, they use very little power
when idle.

/me just did a quick check

Interestingly, on Ebay the D420 and D430 appear to be going a bit cheaper
currently. They have similar benefits as above but are 12" computers (vs 15"
for the 6xx). However be careful, they only support 2G of RAM and have the
ULV cpu running at 1.2 - 1.4GHz. But power-wise, they are miserly.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."
–Matsuo Bashō