[Cialug] W2K Server P2V on VBox

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Mar 31 11:30:52 CDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Josh More wrote:

> ESXi is ESX on a chip.  It's not the full-fledged super-expensive option.  It's more than $300, I'm sure, but I also think it's less than $3000.

I don't know about anywhere else, but at Dell:

1. "On a chip" means "on an internal USB flash drive", which means you have to buy a machine that has an internal USB port, which often rules out the $300 machine. It also means it's functionally indifferent from just buying an external USB flash drive and installing ESX from an optical disk. Or from buying a remote management card that has some on-board flash/SD slot/etc. for boot-accessible storage.

2. You have to buy uber-special-platinum-elite-25/8-hand-holding support for 3 years to get ESXi. That's $2k+ all by itself.

Unless you need ESX pre-installed so you don't have to do any setup other than connecting to power I don't think there's much advantage to buying the embedded version.

--

I know ESX is a bit picky about what hardware it officially supports, but if you're not running exotic disks, have enough RAM, and are willing to install one of the supported NICs, it actually runs on quite a variety of systems. I even got it going on a world's-cheapest-desktop-AMD machine just by slapping an EE1000 in it.

	Zach