[Cialug] NIC Bonding under Linux/Debian

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 12:46:26 CDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering about some of the directives in the interfaces file, here is an excerpt:
>
> allow-hotplug eth0
> allow-hotplug eth1
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet dhcp
> pre-up ifconfig bond0 up
> up ifenslave bond0 eth1 eth0

Ok... I think you can get rid of the hotplug lines. Also, why would
you ifconfig up a device during a pre-up? So you want it up before it
gets configured? I'd expect it to look more like:

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet dhcp
        up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
        down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
        post-down rmmod bonding

My live config:

#base interface
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.10.41.20
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.10.41.254
        pre-up modprobe bonding mode=4 miimon=100 xmit_hash_policy=layer3+4
        up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5
        post-up /usr/local/bin/spread_eth_irq
        down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5
        post-down rmmod bonding